My Favorite Poem

Trees
By Joyce Kilmer
1886-1918

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

This is the first poem I've ever memorized, (beside a few of my own). If I try to read it aloud (and I invite you to), the images painted by the words are so beautiful I can't get through it without getting choked up.


Comments

Tess Kincaid said…
This one is a classic. It's priceless and wonderful.
Anonymous said…
Don't you just LOVE poetry, poems and poets...they are such artists :)
xxsm
meb said…
My favorite poem of all. I love that you brought it back to memory.
Red Shoe Artist said…
This poem is one of my fave's. I'm glad I stumbled across your blog page. Hope you don't mind me poking around. Thought I should leave a comment instead of lurking in the dark.
Peace