Ready For the Holidays? Gifts for a Sweet Life

Guest Blogger Lynne Favreau is back, this year writing not only of her gift finds, but combining her amazing skills as a baker, cook and libations wizard, to all our benefit! It's great to get these now so you can be prepared for the holiday parties ahead - to serve at yours or bring to someone else's! I can't wait to try some of these myself- Rochelle



Going to do something a little different and throw in a few recipes with my shopping recommendations.  

After having thrown a multitude of shindigs this year, which included a college graduation, a bridal shower, a few birthday parties, and various festive occasions for my writer’s group – three in one month – plus Thanksgiving, I am partied out!

Now that December is well underway is anyone else feeling like a deer caught in headlights? 
No? Just me?

Rather than run myself ragged I decided to revisit recipes proven to be tried and true, and rely on the food bloggers I’ve come to trust for party food this season. If you need a sweet treat for an office party, the packaging for your homemade gifts, or a present for foodie, I've got you covered.

What to Bring to the Party

These desserts had the most positive feedback from partygoers this year.


I made these berry cupcake from Baker by Nature for my daughter’s graduation party and they are one of the best tasting and textured cupcakes I’ve ever made. It doesn't hurt that they are beautiful! 

I found this particular berry buttercream recipe a bit fiddly, though the flavor was spectacular. My suggestion: use seedless berry jam instead of fresh berries. It will shorten the prep time and is more readily available than fresh berries. Here’s my simpler version.

Fruity Buttercream

Yields generous amount for 24 cupcakes 
6-8 cups confectionary sugar

1 cup unsalted butter at rm temp

1 cup seedless jam, preserve or jelly (nearly any flavor of seedless jam/jelly will work)

3-4 tb milk, if needed.  

In a large bowl of electric mixer cream the butter  until light. Blend in the sugar, one cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Separately, blend jelly until smooth, then add to whipped buttercream a few tablespoons at a time, beating after each addition. Whip until light and fluffy. If too loose or wet add more confectionary sugar by tablespoonful. If too stiff add few teaspoons milk until you get consistency you desire. You can halve recipe. 
I’ve made this with seedless raspberry preserves, guava jelly, blackberry jam. It’s a very forgiving and flexible recipe.
If berry cupcakes aren’t your thing, I made these pink velvet cupcakes with a guava buttercream which came out lovely and a bit different from plain vanilla. You can find Goya's Guava Jelly in the ethnic section of your grocery store. 



This Hershey’s Chocolate Cake with my raspberry buttercream above, is a crowd favorite. It is easy, quick to make, with a nice light texture but deep chocolate flavor. Bonus, made as a sheet cake it transports and serves from the pan (make it in a nice covered pan like this and you can give that to the hostess as a gift). The raspberry frosting is pretty on its own but I like to throw fresh raspberries, and a few sprig of mint on top for a pop of color. I typically use Polaner All-Fruit Seedless Raspberry Spread for this frosting, but any brand will do.

Presentation

To show off your hard work and add to the holiday decor use wrappers for your cupcakes. There are many styles and a variety of colors and prints. Another option is fancy cupcake liners. You can find similar products at Michael’s, Joann Fabric and Target too if you need to grab something while you're out running errands.

Cupcake Wrappers: There are many designs available on Etsy.  











  

And to display them all, this Cupcake Tower is one I bought for a bridal shower. I like the lip on it, since it keeps everything from falling off. It comes apart for storage, which is why it is presently missing. Apparently, flat cardboard box about yay big, isn't enough of a description for my husband to divine it from the attic. 


Packaging for Homemade Goodies

I try to always have enough ingredients on hand during the holidays to make a batch of cookies, fudge or salted caramel sauce. They makes great hostess gifts, and last minute presents for unexpected guests. Made easier if you have a supply of gifts boxes, tins and cellophane bags around to pack them up in, plus a few Mason jars for the caramel sauce and peppermint hot fudge sauce.

Papermart is my favorite place to get boxes, bags and packaging.




And this Gable End Box is easy to decorate yourself with labels, stickers, and ribbons. 




Get it all in one with this Holly Candy Packaging Kit.


More Goodies

We had two overwhelming winners for Thanksgiving dessert this year, Ree Drummond's Spicy Molasses Cookies were gobbled right up. My only adjustment was to cut back the ginger and cinnamon to 1/2 tsp each. I really wanted the molasses to shine more than the spice.



I'm a little hesitant to post the next recipe, but it was so loved by my family I'm standing by it. You see, if you read the comment section on Dear Crissy's site you will find many complaints about the amount of flour and the cookies spreading. 

I had not read the comments before making them but did notice that the flour amount was rather low compared to other cookie recipe. I went ahead and made them knowing they would spread and kept them far apart on the cookie sheet. While they did indeed spread, they look exactly like the photos. And they were scarfed down in no time.

I think the caveat is, you must use pure maple syrup. My guess is people substituted the fake stuff which is corn syrup and behaves differently. Soft Maple Sugar Cookies.





If you aren't a candy maker but fudge sounds like a great gift to give and receive...I hear rumors that the one of the best fudges in America, besides my own, is Joann’s Fudge from Michigan. I’ve never had it, but after reading the descriptions if someone needs a taste tester, I’m all in for the Double Dark Chocolate Cherry Walnut, and Raspberry Truffle. They have two order by dates for Christmas: Dec 12th, and Dec 17th. 



One more recipe for the dessert table, Jayne Mansfields by Judy Rosenberg of Rosie's Bakery. You can make these in a sheet pan and cut it into squares, or cook it in individual paper bakery pans or cups. It is hands down my favorite not quite a brownie not quite a cake treat when I don’t want to make cookies. It embodies the delicious vanilla, butter, with a bit of chocolate flavor of your favorite blondie except in cake form. 


This cookbook is one of my most used baking books. I make her pie crust, Boom Booms, Congo Bars, SoHo Gobs, Chocolate Orgasms...too many to name them all. Luck is yours if you live in Massachusetts, you can get her baked goods delivered.

Jayne Mansfields

1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons cake flour (I typically use AP flour minus the 2 tbls)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups brown sugar (lightly packed)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large eggs
3/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I’ve used whatever is at hand, dark, mini, bittersweet, and I sometimes add 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans).  

1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ F. Lightly grease a 11x7 inch pan w/butter. 
2. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in small bowl, and set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla in medium size mixing bowl until light and fluffy, about 1 1/2 minutes. Scrape bowl with rubber spatula.
4. Add eggs one at time on medium speed after each addition until partial blended, 5 seconds. Scrap bowl, then beat until batter blended, 20 seconds more.
5. With mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients and beat until almost  blended about 15 seconds. Scrape the bowl. 
6. Add the chips and mix on low until they are blended in, about 5 seconds. Stir batter several times with rubber spatula. Spread the batter evenly into prepared pan. 
7. Bake the bars on the center oven rack until top has risen and set, and is golden in color, 26-28 minutes (the top won’t spring back when touched; a depression remains). Allow to cool one hour on rack before cutting.


Holiday Brunch and Breakfast

Because I’ve had great success with her recipes, I’ll try anything on Ashley’s website Baker by Nature, 
including, Eggnog French Toast



and these to die for Chocolate Raspberry Crumb Muffins 



You can confidently try anything on her site.

When I make brunch, I usually have at least one breakfast bread/muffin. This Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake has become an often requested recipe. I almost always double it cooking in a 9x13 pan. it would make a great breakfast/brunch potluck dish.



That takes care of the sweet side of life. 

Next post, the savory side with cocktails!

Disclaimer: All photos and recipes originate from the designated website/authors unless otherwise noted.

TIP: Stay tuned for more this year but if you are in a hurry to see what else Lynne has recommended on Looky Here over the years, check out her category by clicking HERE. - Rochelle

Comments